Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Thai-ish Pocket Bread Sandwiches

I remember exactly where I got this recipe, even though it was probably 15 years or so ago. It was from a "Beef: it's What's For Dinner" ad that I tore out of a magazine. And typed up. And finally made.

There is nothing authentic about this recipe, but it's still really good. I added a couple small sliced onions to the peppers, and since I had lemongrass in the fridge, I minced up about half a stalk of that and threw it in. If you don't eat meat, I imagine you could put some chickpeas or kidney beans in there. And even if you do eat meat, I would think that half a pound of ground beef is plenty--I felt like there was too much. But maybe that's just me. Anyway, make this. It will take you all of 25-30 minutes.


Thai Pocket Bread Sandwiches


1 lb. lean ground beef 2 T. soy sauce

2 small red peppers 2 T. lime juice

2 T. minced fresh ginger 1 t. sesame oil

4 cloves garlic, minced 3-4 pocket breads

1/2 t. crushed red pepper 1 tomato

1/2 c. chopped cilantro 6-8 lettuce leaves

3 T. chunky peanut butter


In a large frying pan, brown beef; drain off fat. Thinly slice peppers; add to pan along with ginger, garlic, and chilies; stir often until peppers are limp, 3-5 minutes . Stir together peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, and sesame oil; add to pan along with cilantro. Cut bread in half crosswise; core and slice tomato . Tuck equally into each half-round the tomato, lettuce, and meat mixture. Makes 6-8 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment