Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Clam Chowder

For the first time ever, I made clam chowder with actual clams. It was quite the adventure. I found the clams easily enough at the fish store, and while the guy was packing them up, I asked him how to prepare them. "Uh, you just open them and eat them raw!" I explained that I wanted to cook them: did I need to soak them? wash them? He looked very confused--why would I want to cook these? So he asked the manager, who took one look at me and declared, "Ah, you must want to make that American clam soup!" Busted.

So I took my clams home and washed them and steamed them in water and white wine, hoping to use the broth instead of clam juice. But the broth, for whatever chemical reason, turned a horrifying shade of blue. I really didn't think my family wanted to eat blue soup. So that was discarded.

Despite all this adventure, I made some really delicious clam chowder. I still kind of wish I could buy canned clams in France, though...

This recipe, with some modifications, comes from the September 1999 issue of Bon Appétit.

Littleneck Clam Chowder

2-3 lbs. littleneck clams (I have no idea what kind of clams I used. In French they were called "clams")

3 T. butter

1 onion, diced

1/4 c. flour

1/2 c. white wine

1-1/2 c. clam juice (I used water and a bit of "fish stock powder")

1-1/2 c. milk

3 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced

In a large pot or covered skillet, put the clams and a bit of water over medium-high heat. Steam, watching closely, about 8 minutes. Take the clams out with tongs as they open. Scoop the cooked clams out and set aside. Don't use any clams that haven't opened. Make sure to keep the juice inside the clams as well as the cooking water, assuming it's not blue. You'll probably want to strain it through a fine sieve or even a coffee filter.

Now get out another large pot and melt the butter in it over medium heat. Add the onion and a bit of salt and sauté until translucent. Sprinkle the flour over and let cook for about a minute. Then gradually add the white wine, clam juice, and milk, stirring constantly and carefully to avoid lumps. Add the potatoes, cover, and cook at medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, or until they are tender.

With scissors or a knife, coarsely chop the clams and add them and any reserved juices to the soup. Cook the soup just until hot and serve with bread and a salad. This makes 4 good-sized bowls.



No comments:

Post a Comment