Thursday, August 23, 2012

Shrimp Scampi with (no) Pernod


This post begins my reports on my California Cooking Adventure: this one in San Diego at my sister Alicia's house. I gave her the choice between shrimp and blueberry tea cake, and we were all happy with her choice.


The afternoon I made this was a busy one: we went to La Jolla, looking at the sea lions, downtown, and the UCSD campus. It was already on the late side when we went to Whole Foods and picked up some key groceries for this dish. Since Melissa Clark allows for many different variations in the recipe, I decided to skip the fennel and Pernod and use the basil we already had and the white wine we bought (and would drink with the meal).


The scampi goes together in a flash: you make a quick butter-garlic-white wine sauce, cook it down a bit, and then add shrimp and herbs. That's it--and it's all that's necessary for a delicious dish. We devoured it with a somewhat spicy Israeli couscous dish and, I believe, a salad. It's an elegant meal that comes together in minutes, which makes it a great back-pocket recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment