Monday, March 19, 2012

Kate's Impossibly Fudgy Brownies



 This weekend we had a special guest baker: Claire, who wanted a reward for cleaning her room. So before the rest of us left the house to dutifully visit the in-laws, I put this recipe in front of her and told her she could make it. I only got one phone call to clarify where the cocoa powder was, but apparently the rest was easy. As Claire puts it, "How can anyone be a bad cook if they have good recipes?"


So since Claire was the actual baker, I thought I'd interview her about the process:
Was there anything about the ingredients or the process that you thought was unusual or confusing?



I wasn't sure about the difference between kosher and Malden salt. (Yes, I have way too many types of salt.)
Was there anything difficult about making this recipe?
It was hard to chop the huge block of unsweetened chocolate. And I couldn't stop myself from eating the little pieces of chocolate, even though they were disgusting. And it was hard to fold in the flour. It all clumped at the bottom of the bowl.
What did you learn from making this recipe?
Brownies are delicious. Unsweetened chocolate makes you want to wash your mouth out.
Would you make this recipe again? If so, would you make any changes?
I would put in more chile because you can't really taste it. Also, I would use a tiny bit less butter. They're a bit greasy on the bottom.
What would you like to say about these brownies?
They're the best brownies I've ever had. They really are impossibly fudgy. They taste like ice cream topping: the good kind. And you can get away with eating it straight. (They do taste really good with ice cream.)

I'm with Claire: these are some fabulous, fudgy brownies. I notice the chile, but just barely. The one thing that kind of bothers me about them is some graininess: whether from the salt or the sugar, I'm not sure. But don't get me wrong: this did not stop up from polishing off these babies in record time. I would definitely make this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment