Sunday, October 10, 2010

Stuffed Flank Steak

My in-laws came for lunch today. They were the first guests we've had since we got to the apartment, which was how it needed to be. I had to come up with something conservative for them to eat--they are definitely of the meat-and-potato mindset. This is what I came up with: a salad with mâche, avocado, and almonds for a starter, this for a main course, and a fruit dessert I'll blog about later on the Maider Heatter site.

I think they liked it--I know Sami and I did. Flank steak usually comes in individual steaks here, so I asked my butcher to give me long, thin strips I could roll up. But the recipe as written is for one large steak--you could pound it or butterfly it to make it nice and thin and stuffable. The recipe also has you flour the steak before you sauté it, which I forgot to do, and frankly, I don't think it's necessary. Flour burns, too. One last thing--if you put some shallots and red wine in the pan after you take out the steaks, let that cook down a bit, and then add the juices from the baking sheet, you've got a nice pan sauce. But here's the recipe more less as written, from the June 2001 issue of Bon Appétit.


Stuffed Flank Steak Medallions


1-1/2 lb. flank steak (one piece)

2 minced garlic cloves

3 T. olive oil

1 bunch arugula (you really only need a small handful)

1 7-oz. jar sliced roasted red peppers, drained

6 thin slices prosciutto (about 2 oz.)

6 thin slices smoked Gouda (about 4 oz)

1 c. flour

1 T. paprika

2 t. salt

1 t. pepper


Pound or butterfly the steak until you have about a 9x10-inch rectangle. Whisk together garlic and olive oil; brush over the steak. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover meat with arugula, then peppers, prosciutto, and cheese. Roll the long way and tie with butcher's twine. Mix together the flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a large shallow dish. Roll the meat in the flour to coat (or just salt and pepper it).

Heat the oven to 350; heat the remaining 1 T. oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add meat and sear on all sides. This should take about 3-5 minutes. Bake the meat until cooked through (don't cook too long, though--about 150-160 on a meat thermometer should be plenty), about 45 minutes (I would check after 30 or less). Let meat rest 10 minutes. Remove string; cut meat into 1/2-inch-thick slices. I served this with the pan sauce above, mashed potatoes, and green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment